Run Distance: Tue 30:37, Wed 10:59, Thu 10:64, Sat 30:70, Mon 10:68
Average Pace: N/A
Weekly Total: 10:68
Monthly Total: 92:98
Yearly Total: 92:98
Running Calendar: Injinji 12HR, Coburg 24HR, Sri Chinmoy 12HR, Canberra Centennary 100, Hume & Hovell 100 Miler, GNW
Last Saturday's run was tough. For some reason I let the heat play with my head and I bailed at 30km. It's not something I have done before. The foot injury I have been carrying was also having an impact too. Trying to compensate for it was causing quad soreness.
So on Tuesday I bit the bullet and went to a podiatrist for an assessment. The diagnosis was Capsulitis of the toe. In short, the ligaments at the base of the toe form a capsule. Capsulitis is a condition where these ligaments become inflamed. It can happen on any toe but it is usually the second toe because it is longest of the toes (the big toe has a different structure) and takes most of the forces runners put on their forefoot.
I think it occurred when I raced at either the Tan or Centennial Park. The blisters I had probably caused me to alter my gait and put more stress on that part of the foot.
So the treatment is ice, anti-inflamatories, stiff soled shoes with padding, walking flat footed so the toe does not bend otherwise it will tear again and I'll be back at square one (it's harder than it sounds). Oh and the most important part - WAIT. Yes no timeframe of when it will heal but when it has healed it should not come back. Hmmmmm.
The hard part in all this is that I have had to take the selfish road and not run long runs with training partners. I have taken Brindabella 100 off the list because I don't think I will be ready. Instead I will look at the Injinji Stromlo 12hr two weeks later. The main focus is to be ready for the Coburg 24hr.
It's starting to respond to the treatment so If I don't do anything silly I will start to walk on it normally at the end of next week and maybe do some short running on the grass at Calwell oval.
2 comments:
Toes .... such little things & yet they can be such big trouble makers.
Wow - doesn't take much to throw one's stride out. Anyway, do the right thing and you're looking good. Calwell's perfect for flat easy running.
Post a Comment